If you are buying a device for your child, you can use the checklist below to guide your decision on which device to bring. Please do not hesitate to contact the school if you are looking to purchase a device and would like advice if it is suitable.
* Please note that the below are the minimum specifications. Anything above this will mean the device will likely function better for your child and last longer as software updates over time and needs more space and resources.
Click here for a printable version to take shopping
- 64 Bit processor, suggested minimum Intel i3 (Gen 11) or AMD Ryzen 3
- 8GB RAM (16GB recommended, and required for Digital Photography students)
- Minimum 128GB drive (Solid State Drive (SSD))
- Screen resolution of at least 1366x768 (high definition (HD))
- Keyboard, for typing (i.e. not a tablet with a screen only)
- Touchscreen (active pen compatible)
- Active pen
- A 2-in-1 device (this will ‘flip’ to a tablet and allows students to draw/write easily)
- USB-C Charging
- Ability to connect earphones/headphones.
- Minimum battery life of 8 hours
- Light weight, under 1.5 kg
- Case for protection in school bag (recommended)
- Mouse (plug in type - optional)
- Warranty: consider how long this is and how long to expect from the laptop you are purchasing. Check how long it is and what type (i.e. on-site repair or do you need to post it for repair)
- Windows 10/11 (NOT S mode)
- We recommend strongly you do not purchase a Chromebook or Android Tablet, and preferably not an iPad. We have found that these devices lack the ease of use and integration with other technology in our classrooms.
- We request USB-C charging where possible, as these are chargers we have at school, so will be able to assist with charging laptops from time to time.
- Please do not provide Internet data (via smart phones or 3G/4G dongles), as GHS provides secure (child safe) Internet at school via the WiFi.
- Note that your child receives FREE Microsoft and Adobe software, so there is no extra to purchase other than above.