Gloucester High School logo

Gloucester High School

Gloucester High School

Care Achievement Respect Effort Responsibility

Telephone02 6558 1605

Mental health and advise resources

Counselling for families

The school counsellor can assist when families undergo a trauma or big change. Contact us to make an appointment. For information in community languages, see school counselling service.

Outside of the education system, free telephone counselling services are available to support families who may be going through a difficult time.

  • Lifeline – 24-hour telephone counselling service. 13 11 14.
  • Mensline Australia – 24-hour telephone counselling service for men. 1300 789 978.
  • Parent line – 24-hour advice and information service. 1300 1300 52.

About School Counsellors

School Counsellors are in every government school. They help students of all ages from pre-school to Year 12. 

How do School Counsellors help?

School counsellors:

Support individual students to learn new skills such as:

  • Getting on better with friends
  • Controlling their anger
  • Keeping out of trouble in class
  • Provide students with anti-bullying strategies

The School Counsellor works closely with the Learning and Support team in performing various diagnostic testing to support learning.

School Counsellors maintain confidentiality at all times.

What School Counsellors do not perform:

  • Counselling to students for outside school matters such as family breakdown and mental health issues.
  • Parental support services.

If your child has an issue that is occurring outside of school then additional support services may be required.

In Gloucester this may be:

  • GP – for a mental health care plan. Gloucester Medico (02) 6558 1604.
  • Catholic Care – Counselling Services (02) 6558 1777.
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service – NSW Mental Health Line 1800 011 511.
  • Manning Support Services – Family Support (02) 6551 1800.
  • Gloucester Community Health Service - (02) 6538 5056 and (02) 6538 5058

Please contact Ms Ribbons at school for further information about any of these services.